- Controlling reflectance
- Understanding how geometry setup affects color bleed
- Choosing color placement carefully
- Using the FG Diffuse Bounce control and Photon Energy setting
- Controlling color bleed via object property controls
- Using the rayswitch map
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hello and welcome to our Mental Ray: Control Colour Bleed in 3ds Max course. My name is Brian Bradley and I'm really looking forward to spending some time working through the various options available in the mental ray engine for controlling color bleed in our renders. A skill that will be invaluable, no matter which part of the CG industry we are actually working in. In chapter one of the course we will take a very quick look at some of the basics regarding the way in which light works in the real world as well as defining for ourselves just exactly what we mean when we talk about the color bleed phenomenon.
In chapter two we will look at some ways to control color bleed in what we will call a physically accurate manner. In that the options we use could, for the most part, actually be employed to control color bleed or color balance in a real world environment. In chapter three we will move on to some of the GI specifics tools that are available, working with both Final Gather and photon-based controls. And then in chapter four we will conclude by looking at a few non-physical controls such as the RaySwitch map and Object Properties dialog.
If you are ready to get to grips with color bleed problems when using mental ray in 3ds Max, let's press on and dive right in.