Learn how to save baked maps to disk.
- [Instructor] Render to Texture provides the capability…to bake materials and lighting out to bitmap files…for compatibility with other applications,…such as game engines, and renderers.…The current version of Render to Texture in 3ds Max…does not support all renderers equally.…In other words, you can't use the tool…with every renderer available in 3ds Max.…The ART renderer, and the Quicksilver hardware renderer…are not supported at all.…
The Arnold renderer works to some extent,…but there are limitations.…We need to take many extra steps to save out…the various shading components or texture elements,…such as diffuse, specular, and normal maps.…The scanline renderer has fewer limitations,…and it is still the easiest way…to bake textures in 3ds Max 2019.…However, the Render to Texture workflow…is likely to change soon, and when that happens,…I'll cover the new workflow in my weekly series,…3ds Max Tips, Tricks, And Techniques.…
In this version of the sculpture scene,…I've turned off all lights to speed up rendering,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Appropriate for all
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.