Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Masking the nails for a metallic map, part of Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Asset.
- At this point in the creation of our substance,…we are ready to take a look at how we created…the metallic map for the nail portions of our mesh.…Which, at this moment in time,…are not looking particularly metallic at all.…If I zoom into the metallic frame then,…you can see that we are once again…making use of our friend, the SVG node as a mask.…Now, although here I am utilizing a copy…of the very same node that we made use of earlier,…in a typical production workflow,…we probably wouldn't want to create…multiple versions of a resource as I have here.…
More than likely, we would simply…make use of a single instance and…then drag connections from the output…to anywhere in the graph that it was needed.…To make the flow that we are using here…nice and readable though, I decided,…as I say, to make use of a copy instead.…So, what have we actually done here…to create our metallic map?…Well, first of all, we have inverted…our SVG node, simply because we now…want the nails, so the white areas,…to be metallic and the black areas,…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Learning CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.