Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Mapping with smoothing groups, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] In this video, we're going to…take a look at the basic process of working with…the flatten by smoothing group…and flatten by material ID options.…To flatten our UV mesh using either of these control sets,…we will, of course, need at the very least to understand…how we can check for the setup of both smoothing groups…and material IDs on geometry in our scenes.…To do that, let's, in polygons of object mode,…have our editable poly-robot body,…close up the roll outs in the modify tab,…until we come to the material ID…and smoothing group options.…
Both of these tools work in a very similar manner,…so let's focus on our smoothing groups here.…By hitting the select by SG or smoothing groups button…in the smoothing groups roll out.…Now this brings up a dialog…that can be used to make polygon selections…based on any smoothing groups currently applied to the mesh.…And yes, as you can see,…we already have two smoothing groups…set up on this particular object.…Smoothing group one, if I just select it,…and then click okay, includes one set of polygons.…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Tips, Tricks & Techniqueswith Aaron F. Ross4h 15m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.