Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Mapping the piston, part of Game Art: Model & UV Map a Low Poly Character.
- Time to unwrap our piston arm,…so that it is ready for use in the texturing…of normal map making parts of our pipeline.…We can start by making sure…only our low poly mesh is in the isolation mode…and then move onto adding UVW map…and unwrap UVW modifiers to the stack.…And then, on the unwrap, coming to edit to object mode…and click to select one of the horizontal edges…on either the top or the bottom of our mesh.…We can then use the loop command,…which again, essentially splits our mesh in half…and creates a two cluster set.…
Now, the arm section of the mesh,…we want to unwrap like a cylinder.…So, there is no need to have two seams.…Holding down the alt key then,…let's deselect the horizontal edge on the top of our model,…which will leave the seam on the bottom,…when we convert our selection over.…In fact, let's come down to the peel rollout…and do just that…by clicking on the convert selection to seams button.…We do want to separate the arm into its own cluster,…so as to make the unwrap nice and simple…and so let's click to select one of the edges…
- Gamma and scale
- Setting up a scene
- Creation and shaping
- Using symmetry modifiers
- UV mapping
- Using guide objects
- Detailing and finishing
- Refining a model
- Prepping a model
- Exporting a model
- Fixing issues
- Normal map baking
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
1. Modeling and Unwrapping the Drive Wheel Assembly
2. Building and UV Mapping the Wheels and Tread
3. Creating and Mapping the Head
4. Modeling and UV Mapping the Piston Assembly
5. Final Modeling, FBX Export, and Normal Map Baking
Next steps1m 41s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.