Learn how to remap brightness to a gradient color palette.
- [Instructor] To begin our chapter on advanced mapping,…we'll look at an interesting technique for remapping colors,…In this way, we can map brightness onto a ramp…to create a new color palette.…In this case, we'll apply different colors…to this sculpture.…We'll make it so the crevices are darker,…and that's also known as dirt map.…Let's open up the material editor.…We've got a physical material…for each one of the three objects in the sculpture,…the helmet, the hair and the body.…
They're all identical right.…Now double click on one of them,…and we can see that…we got a little bit of sub surface scattering…down to a depth of 0.5 centimeters,…and we have a reflection roughness of 0.5,…and also a base color, or diffuse roughness, of 0.5.…Next to each one of these,…I've got an ambient occlusion map.…Let's do the body first.…We're going to create a gradient ramp node.…It's found in Maps, General, Gradient Ramp.…
Drag that over.…And then connect the bitmap output…to the source map input of the gradient ramp.…And then connect the gradient ramp to both the base color,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.