Learn how to apply procedural noise to the Bump channel.
- [Instructor] To examine bump mapping…with the physical material,…let's go back to our extreme close-up…in the perspective view.…Right click to highlight that viewport,…and we'll do another active shade render,…and of course open up the material editor.…Let's make this a bit more believable with a bump map.…I'll go back to the advanced reflectance parameters…and set that back to by IOR,…and the anisotropy is not going to affect this very much,…so I'm going to set that back to its default of one.…
And scroll down until you see special maps…and open that up,…and you'll see bump map.…And you can drag and drop a bump map here,…or of course click on the none button.…That launches the material map browser.…I'll choose Maps, General, Noise.…Double click on that.…And a noise map is added and connected…to the bump map input of the physical material.…I'll set my bump map amount down to .1,…and then double click on that noise map,…and in its coordinates rollout,…set the Y tiling value to 100.…
That's going to cause it to repeat many more times.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.