Manipulate objects around Pivot Point, Selection, and Transform coordinate centers.
- [Instructor] Normally, when an object is transformed,…it's transformed relative to its pivot point…or anchor point, but we can change that behavior…and make it so that, for example, a selection of objects…will rotate around a common center.…And that's accomplished from this button up here,…which is variously labeled…depending upon which option is chosen,…but it's the Use Transform Coordinate Center fly-out,…and it has three options: Pivot Point,…Selection Center, and Reference Coordinate Center.…
So I'm going to just set this back to its default up here,…which is Pivot Point, and I'm going to…change my reference coordinate system over to View,…or World, doesn't matter which,…but it just can't be Gimbal in this case,…otherwise we won't be able to see the effect.…So I'm in View Coordinate System, which is the default,…and I'm in Use Pivot Point Center.…I'll drag a selection rectangle around these two sofas,…and the table, and the dodecahedron.…
And as soon as I did that, this icon changed up here.…Now it says Use Selection Center,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.