Manage materials that are assigned to objects in the scene.
- [Aaron Ross] Let's talk about managing materials…in the graph versus in the actual scene.…I'll open up the material editor.…To show you that, I've created a couple more materials…and assigned them to some objects in the scene.…By the way I can minimize these nodes…so they don't take up so much space.…It's the minimum/maximum button up here…in the upper right of each node.…I just minimize all of these.…I can also make their little sample object larger…if I want, double click on the actual sample.…
And now I have nodes that I can read really clearly.…Now all of these are assigned to objects in the scene.…And that means that if I delete them,…I'll not delete them from the scene.…The node graph here is really just a sandbox…even though these materials are instanced…in both the scene and the material editor node graph.…So that's kind of a strange relationship.…If I double click on something here like this leather node…and load its parameters and make a change…to the base color for example,…that's going to be reflected in the scene immediately…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.