Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Managing the scene hierarchy, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…Before we can have fun with lighting and materials, we'll…need to do some more housekeeping on this CAD model.…First, we need to set up the wire frame or object color.…Right now if we press F3 we can see that some of the…objects are wire frame outlined in white, and some in this cream color.…Well, white's not a good color for an object, because white…indicates that the object is selected in a wire frame view.…What we want to do actually here is assign the color of…the wires according to the object's display layer, and that way we…can put multiple objects on a layer, and then change all of…their colors at once, so we can see what we're dealing with.…
To do this, what we need to do is select all of the geometry.…And go over into the Command panel here.…And you've got Name and Color in your Create panel.…And click on the color swatch.…And within here you'll see a button that says, By Object.…That means that currently, the color of…each object is determined by the object properties.…If we click that button it switches it to by layer, and from now…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.