Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Managing display layers, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…So that we can hide, freeze, or assign materials to…many objects at once, we'll want to create display layers.…Let's open up the Manage Layers dialog box.…And what we'll see in here is that the CAD…file came with a single layer that has no name.…We open that up, we'll see all the objects.…Let's create some new layers and move these objects into those layers.…If I click on the name of an object here in…the layer dialogue, it doesn't actually select it in the viewport.…To do that, we additionally have to…press this Select Highlighted Objects and Layers button.…
And now it's actually selected as we see here.…We can now click on the Create New Layer Containing Selected Objects button.…A new layer is created, down here.…It's Layer001.…And you'll see Glass is in there.…So let's click on the name of that layer and rename it.…Now we could go through the process of creating…a whole bunch of layers using this Select button,…but it's just tedious, and it's really not necessary…because it's easier to select things in Scene Explorer.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.