Prevent transformations in locked axes.
- [Instructor] To prevent objects from transforming…in dimensions that are not appropriate for that object,…we can lock the transforms…and just prevent the object from moving, rotating,…or scaling in particular axes.…For example,…on the model here of the artist's mannequin,…the only part of it I want to ever move or position…is the pelvis.…I want to be able to select that and position it.…And undo that.…But that doesn't apply to any of the other objects.…
I don't want to position any of these other body parts…because that would cause the mannequin to come apart.…So I'll lock the position transforms for everything…except for the pelvis.…Drag a selection rectangle around all of the objects,…hold down Alt,…click on the pelvis so it's unselected,…and then go over to the hierarchy panel.…And previously we saw the pivot panel within there.…Now let's go to Link Info,…and here are the locks.…
So I want to lock the move and scale transforms…in X, Y, and Z for all of those objects…except for the pelvis.…So now if I select a hand,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.