Parent objects to one another.
- [Narrator] Having set the positions and orientation…for all pivot points…and also determined the optimal order of rotation…for all objects in the hierarchy…we're now ready to create the parent child links.…And this is done in numerous ways in 3ds Max.…The primary method is from the buttons on the main toolbar.…Select and link and unlink selection.…To create a link, click on the select and link button…and get in a little bit closer here, maybe.…
And I want to link this wrist object to the elbow.…Click and hold the mouse down…and then drag over to the other object…and when the cursor changes to two little boxes…you know that you're hovering over an object…that's legal to be a parent for the selected object.…Release the mouse and the new parent flashes just briefly…to indicate that the link has been made.…And we can test this, go over to the rotate tool…and select the elbow, and rotate it in Gimbal coordinates…and we can see that the wrist object is following.…
We'll undo that with Control + Z.…We can see that link in the scene explorer as well.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.