In this video, use area lights for soft illumination.
- [Instructor] For small and medium-scale subjects,…such as consumer products,…lightbox photography is a simple…and effective presentation technique.…Simulating a lightbox in a 3D rendering is easy to set up.…Just place the object on a white cyclorama…and surround it with soft lights all at right angles…to one another.…A cyclorama or cyc is a photographic background…that's seamless and easy to illuminate evenly.…The wall and floor are sculpturally joined…with a circular fillet.…
The filleted area is also known as a cove.…The fillet must be a 90 degree arc of a circle.…The radius of the fillet…or cove should be sized appropriately…to the photographic subject…with the goal of an evenly lit background.…To simulate lightbox illumination,…surround the cyclorama with area lights.…The cyclorama covers the back and bottom of the box.…Place quadrilateral lights…at the top, left, right,…and front of the box.…
Size the lights and the cyc, if necessary,…to completely enclose the subject.…This is to ensure that rays reflecting off of the object…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Choosing a visualization app
- Managing assets
- Shading with materials and textures
- Daylighting, practical lighting, and studio lighting
- Lightbox and macro photography
- Vehicles and large-scale objects
- Architecture and interior design
- Technical illustrations
- Rendering passes and light groups
- Rendering for print, prepress, and broadcast
- Animating turntables and orbits
- Rigging and animating a walkthrough
Skill Level Beginner
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2016)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. Preparation and Layout
2. Lighting and Shading
4. Rendering and Image Manipulation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.