Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Light and shadow exclusion, part of 3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017).
- [Instructor] In our chapter on…studio techniques and special effects,…we will leave the confines of the physical world…and take advantage of the virtual world…in which we are not limited by the laws of physics.…Meaning, we're not using ART.…We're using Mental Ray and basically any other…renderer that allows non-physical effects…to achieve a theatrical or artistic look…that couldn't be achieved in the real world.…
Or maybe, could be achieved,…but with only a great deal of effort.…Here, it will be very easy for us to break those rules.…We'll start with the simple process of light exclusion.…I've got a classic triangle lighting setup here,…with a key light, and it's a photometric spot.…I've got a fill light.…It's a photometric area light.…And then, behind the subject here.…Here's my sculpture.…
Behind the subject, I've placed two rim lights.…And these are instances…of the same sphere light.…It's a uniform spherical distribution,…and it's got a pretty high intensity value.…If we switch it over to lumens, it's almost 20,000 lumens.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.