Learn how to emit light from an object.
- [Instructor] Emitting light from geometry…is a simple matter with the Physical Material and ART.…I've got a museum setting here that is x-referenced in.…Let's do a rendering with just a single overhead skylight.…I've already set it up for that.…We've got a photometric rectangle light here in the ceiling.…And let's go into our Render Setup.…We're targeting ActiveShade mode using the ART Renderer.…We're rendering Physical Camera 001, and that's locked.…
And we're rendering at a target quality of 32 decibels.…Click Render, and we'll see a result without any emission.…All of the geometry visible in this shot…is using a diffuse material with a roughness of .9…When that render reaches its target quality of 32 decibels,…we can make a duplicate of the rendered frame window.…Go up here and click Clone Rendered Frame Window.…Now we've got a baseline image with no emission.…
Close the Render Setup dialog,…and open up the Material Editor.…I've already got a material assigned onto the egg.…We can open up the Scene Materials, and we'll see glowing.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.