Learn how to combine maps with blending modes and masks.
- [Instructor] The composite map is an indispensable tool…that, as the name indicates, allows us to layer,…or composite multiple maps.…And we can choose different blending modes and layer masks…to achieve complicated effects.…Let's open up the material editor.…And I've got that set up as well.…I've got a couple of bitmaps, egg ink and egg paint.…And also a color map if I double click on that.…You'll see it's just a flat color.…And then here we've got our physical material for the egg.…
Double click that. And there's nothing feeding…into any of these map channels.…Nothing connected here.…If you've hidden the material map browser,…you can enable that from the tools menu here.…I've got it visible and opened up to maps general.…And here's composite. Drag and drop that over.…And then connect it up to the base color…of the physical material.…With that physical material selected, we can also go into…the material editor toolbar and enable…show shaded material in viewport.…
And now we've got a red stripe on that, indicating…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Appropriate for all
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.