Animate angle of view or focal length.
- [Narrator] Dolly and zoom are two ways of making things…larger or smaller on the screen.…A dolly of course moves the camera toward or away…from the subject, while a zoom simply…crops the field of view to make things larger or smaller.…It's said that a zoom is like bringing a subject closer to…the viewer and a dolly is like bringing the viewer closer to…the subject. Most importantly, the shape of the function…curve will affect the look of the animation.…
Let's create a zoom animation. Select the camera…and go into the modify panel.…And we have specify FOV enabled,…with a field of view of 75 degrees.…Let's tighten the shot a little bit.…Reduce that degree value down to 45 and press enter.…And we'll create some key frames. Enable auto key…and go down to frame 60 on the timeline.…
With the camera still selected, change the field of view…degree value to 25 and press enter.…Now we've zoomed in, and we've got key frames.…Disable auto key, rewind and play back.…We've got a zoom, but it's not a terribly elegant one.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Improving productivity in the viewports
- Customizing display and camera options
- Rigging a camera for animation
- Controlling and keyframing rotations
- Prioritizing pan, tilt, and roll axis order
- Keyframing camera movement such as pan and dolly
- Keyframing compound camera movement
- Animating a camera crane or jib arm
- Animating a walk-through with Path Constraint
- Projecting an isometric view
- Defining motion blur parameters
- Blurring by distance with depth of field
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
1. Viewport Tips and Tricks
2. Working with Cameras
3. Rigging and Animation
4. Compound Camera Animation
5. Special Effects
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.