Animate rotation side to side
- [Instructor] When animating rotations…for pan or tilt movements of the camera,…it's a best practice to isolate the transforms.…Perhaps even animate them on separate objects.…You might build a rig where one object controls…the rotation side-to-side or pan,…and another object controls the tilt rotation up and down.…But it's not necessary to build a rig…to isolate the transforms.…We can do that using the curve editor itself.…
I want to do a pan of this camera across the room here.…I'll select the Camera,…select the Rotation tool,…and choose Gimbal Mode.…This camera has already been set up…with the proper rotation order,…as shown in a previous movie,…and to do a pan, all I have to do…is drag on the yellow circle in the top viewport,…and that's the blue axis, or z axis.…
Simple enough, but now let's delve…a little bit deeper into this.…If we keyframe this as it is,…either with auto key or with the set key mode,…we will, by default, keyframe in all three axes.…And the other two rotation axes will have flatline data.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Improving productivity in the viewports
- Customizing display and camera options
- Rigging a camera for animation
- Controlling and keyframing rotations
- Prioritizing pan, tilt, and roll axis order
- Keyframing camera movement such as pan and dolly
- Keyframing compound camera movement
- Animating a camera crane or jib arm
- Animating a walk-through with Path Constraint
- Projecting an isometric view
- Defining motion blur parameters
- Blurring by distance with depth of field
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. Viewport Tips and Tricks
2. Working with Cameras
3. Rigging and Animation
4. Compound Camera Animation
5. Special Effects
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.