Even the small areas deserve love and attention on a model, and so even down to the small inset chamfers, we will want to keep a critical eye on whether or not the smoothing of the mesh is working to help sell the look that we want on our models.
- [Instructor] Having added subdivision and smoothing…to roughly half of the geometry pieces that we have here,…we're going to use the final exercises for the chapter…to finish off this regulator housing.…After selecting the insert piece then,…let's come into the Modify tab,…apply an open subdiv modifier,…and set this to an iterations value of two.…Now, because of the way in which…we created the topology here,…the default smoothing looks fairly decent.…Although, we may want to tighten things up a little bit,…because, if we look at the reference,…we can see that this piece has…a reasonably sharp transition across the edges.…
To mimic that a little more, we could jump into Edge mode…on our editable poly object, select the edges here,…and press Alt R to grab the ring,…and then Shift click the connect tool…and set it to a value of two segments.…To increase the pinch amount, we can turn…the Show End Result option on so that we can see…what we are doing in the view port.…Let's push the edges that we have here…quite close to both the top and bottom,…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 48m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.