Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Image-based lighting with a skylight, part of 3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lighting.
- [Instructor] The gradient background…in the MR physical sky environment looks pretty good,…but eventually we're going to want…to replace that with out own background,…and we can also use that background…to illuminate the scene using image based lighting.…If we want to keep the MR sun and sky system intact,…but just replace the background here, we can do that.…Let's go into the material editor,…and double click on the MR physical sky node…to load into the parameters,…and you can see we have use custom background map.…
If we enable that, and drop in a spherical environment,…then that will override the MR physical sky background,…but it will not change the lighting.…All that we'll do is replace that background.…So in fact what I really want to do here…is replace the background…and also drive the lighting with that background.…So let's do some image based lighting instead.…Close the material editor,…go into Rendering, Environment,…and we've got MR physical sky as our environment map.…
Let's clear that out.…Right click and choose Clear,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.