Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video How transforms affect our projections, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Narrator] In this final exercise for the course,…we're going to look at how we can get a little more…believability out of our blended box mapping…by means of our ability to control the map's…transformation in U, V, and W space.…We're going to be using our test map here,…as it helps clearly show just what is happening…when we use the transformation controls.…However, as the blended box map is most likely to be used…with maps that don't have straight lines…or repeating patterns, such as dirt, grass, and so on,…you will have to use a little bit of imagination…to understand how these controls can be helpful.…
In our scene, we have, if we open up the material editor,…our material with a blended box map and we have our U V…test map piped into the first three slides.…We're using a tiling value of 2,…with the cubic option checked.…If we take a render then, we can see that,…although our map is being blended,…our lines are clearly all running in the same direction,…which was okay for this particular map.…Wouldn't work out so well if we were wanting…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.