Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video How pelt mapping works, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Although in many situations,…the basic peel tools that we have already looked at…will work out just fine for us,…the simple truth is that when we come to start…mapping more complex and perhaps irregular shapes,…we will probably find ourselves more often than not…needing to reach for the Pelt Mapping tools.…In this exercise then, we will want to become familiar…with the way in which the Pelt Mapping tools that works.…Once we've done that, we will be able to move on…and take a look in our final exercise for the chapter…at making use of the Pelt Mapping system.…
As its position in the rollout here suggests,…Pelt Mapping is really just a variant of…3ds Max's Peel tools.…This means that the initial steps to using Pelt Mapping…follow the same basic workflow.…With our robot head geometry selected then,…let's in Edge subject mode, select one of the…chamfered edges on the receiver here…and loop the selection.…We will always want to place our seams where we feel…the object will be able to unfold…in a manner that is as clean as possible…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.