Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video How light cache works, part of V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Essential Training.
- If Irradiance mapping can be set to take the prize…as V-Ray's most widely-used GI engine in the Primary…bounce slot, it is probably safe to say that Light Cache…could make the same claim when it comes to being used as…a Secondary bounce engine.…Light Cache, like Irradiance mapping, is another…view-dependent GI technique which means all of the…same base limitations apply.…The solution is calculated from the rendering camera's…position and so if that camera is moved once the GI…has been created, we will get holes or gaps in the…lighting solution that can only be filled by recalculating…the Light Cache all over again.…
If we do have animation in our scene, be that moving…cameras, moving objects, or both, then we do again…have a number of options in the Light Cache rollout…that we can work with.…In the Mode setting shotdown, we have Fly-through,…From file, and Progressive path tracing modes along…in the advanced UI with an option to use the Render…camera's path when calculating GI, an option that is…also available in the Irradiance map's advanced UI as well.…
- Using the new UI elements, Quick Settings, and revamped Frame Buffer
- Understanding color mapping modes
- Adding V-Ray light types
- Working with the V-Ray Sun and Sky systems and dome light
- Using irradiance mapping and light cache
- Working with diffuse color maps
- Making reflective materials
- Creating a translucency effect
- Using the new SSS and skin shaders
- Ensuring quality with image sampling
- Working with the adaptive subdivision engine
- Controlling the physical camera
- Working with FX tools such as VRayFur and VRayMetaball
- Stereoscopic 3D rendering
- Using Render Mask
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Introduction and Important Information
1. Getting Ready to Render with V-Ray
2. Key Lighting Tools
3. Global Illumination
4. V-Ray Materials and Maps
5. Quality Control with Image Sampling
6. Working with Cameras
The V-Ray Physical Camera
V-Ray 3 & the 3ds Max Physical Camera
7. The V-Ray FX Tools
What's next?1m 47s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.