Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video How to clear out UVs and materials, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Although this is a course on how…to both create and use UVW mapping to our advantage,…there are times when we will want to completely remove…the UV data that our model contains.…Knowing how to do so then is an important piece…of information that we need to cover.…In fact, there are a couple of ways…in which we can do this in 3ds Max.…The first of which can be applied…to any type of geometry in our scene.…To show this in action let's select our robot body…and inside the modified tab on the command panel…click to drop down the modifier list.…
From here we can press the U key to get to our UV options…and select the UVW clear modifier from the list.…Right away we see that our mapping…is removed from the object.…Now, this approach does have a slight drawback, in that…if I now go to render the scene,…we can see that the test material is still applied.…The texture map associated with it…is still trying to be mapped to our robot.…To solve this we would either need to add new mapping…to our mesh or remove the offending material from it…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.