Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Global illumination, part of 3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017).
- [Instructor] Global illumination is a term…that can have more than one meaning.…Its base meaning is any algorithm that calculates…the light interaction among multiple surfaces in a 3D scene.…The opposite of global illumination is local illumination,…in which each surface is lit separately…and there's no interaction among them.…But of course, for realism,…we do need some global illumination…in which light is transferred among surfaces.…In its broadest definition, global illumination…would encompass ray tracing of specular reflections.…
But most people now use GI in a narrow sense,…and by that, they mean ambient lighting in the scene.…Ambient light then breaks down…into the overall illumination from the environment,…and that's a suffuse illumination…coming from a large light source, such as the sky.…GI also must encompass the interreflection…among objects of diffuse illumination,…in other words, color bleed.…When you have a red carpet next to a white wall,…you'll get some red splash on that white wall.…
Here's a mockup illustrating the difference between…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.