Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Fixing the normal map issue, part of Game Art: Model & UV Map a Low Poly Character.
- [Instructor] At the conclusion of our previous exercise,…the unresolved question that we were left with…was the need to understand just what was causing…our normal maps to look so nasty.…And perhaps more importantly,…how do we go about fixing them?…Well the answer is actually quite straightforward.…You see, as we've been working through the creation…of our modes here,…we have, and rightly so, been applying smoothing groups…by means of the smooth modifier…to some of our meshes.…The problem with that…is that it is, in fact,…our smoothing groups that are causing this problem.…
Now, rather than unwrapping our meshes using UV seams,…as we have been doing throughout this course,…we could have taken the time…to create our smoothing groups manually,…and then simply explode the UVs…by those same smoothing groups.…Which, whilst brilliant for the creation…of our normal maps,…can create a lot of UV seams on a model…if we're not careful.…Something that not many texture artists…will be tremendously happy about,…given that creating textures…
- Gamma and scale
- Setting up a scene
- Creation and shaping
- Using symmetry modifiers
- UV mapping
- Using guide objects
- Detailing and finishing
- Refining a model
- Prepping a model
- Exporting a model
- Fixing issues
- Normal map baking
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Intermediate
1. Modeling and Unwrapping the Drive Wheel Assembly
2. Building and UV Mapping the Wheels and Tread
3. Creating and Mapping the Head
4. Modeling and UV Mapping the Piston Assembly
5. Final Modeling, FBX Export, and Normal Map Baking
Next steps1m 41s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.