Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Filling shadows with area soft lights, part of 3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lighting.
- [Narrator] To make our natural daylight interior…more appealing, we can add some studio light trickery,…a couple of soft lights, to fill in the shadows.…So, we can isolate that effect…from the sun and sky environment.…Let's turn off that environment.…Go into the Rendering menu, Environment,…and disable Use Map.…We can close that dialog.…And now create a light in the top viewport.…Get in close with the middle mouse and the wheel,…so we can frame up that living room.…
Go to the create panel, lights, photometric, target light.…Click and drag to create the light and its target,…release the mouse, and you just created the light…and its target.…Right-click to exit the tool,…and with the light still selected,…go the modify panel, and rename it Soft Light 001.…We want to move it up off the floor.…Let's use the move tool, and click on the line…that connects the light and its target.…
And when that's selected, both the light…and its target are selected, we can go over to,…in orthographic view, right-click,…so we don't lose that selection, get in closer…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.