The thread is the most distinct part of our bolt, and so we will want it to run smoothly and continuously down the bolt. To do this, we will need to make a decision on how we are going to create it. Using the Extrude tool, we gain mostly what we want, but we will need to clean up the topology in the mesh for it to be usable.
- [Instructor] In this particular video,…we're going to be taking a look at extruding the thread…that we need here,…as well as doing a little bit of problem-solving…along the way, so as to keep the typology…of our mesh as clean and as smoothing friendly as possible.…With our geometry selected then,…let's jump into edges of object mode.…Select one of the edges in the downward spiral…that we have already created…and then press the alt and L keys…in order to select the loop,…which of course takes us all the way down…to the bottom of the object.…
Now, of course, our mesh terminates…in a bit of a rough way here.…But, given that this is going to be hidden…inside the breastplate's geometry…and so will never be seen,…we can simply do some deleting down here…a little later on…and not really worry about how things are looking.…In the edges panel on the ribbon then,…let's shift click on the extrude tool…and in the caddy that pops up,…just zero out the height and width spinners…with a right click.…If I then start to slowly increase…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 48m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.