Using splines to drive our modeling operations (such as extrudes) can help us quickly tackle simple looking objects that might take more time to get right if we were to extrude by hand. Using the extrude along spline options allows us to draw, pick, and then refine in one simple operation.
- [Instructor] Looking again at our reference image…and then comparing it to the base geometry setup…that we have already created.…One thing we perhaps immediately notice is missing…are the C-shape extrudes that run down the sides…of the valve housing and that have these two bolts…running into the welded base.…What we want to do in this video then…is to go ahead and create these pieces,…which we can easily do with the help…of a couple of splines.…Coming to the front view port then,…let's press alt and W to maximize.…
And then after selecting all of our regulated geometry,…change the wire color here in order to make things…easier to see.…Black should do nicely in this instance…and then, let's click OK once we are done.…Now this 3rd cylinder in the stack is of course the one…that we want to make our adjustments to.…Although one thing I am noticing as we look at our setup…in the autographic view is that our cylinders…all seem to be floating a little.…And so whilst we are here, let's just close up those gaps.…
Now, we don't necessarily want each piece touching…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 48m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.