Convert a flat polygon surface to a 3D volume.
- [Instructor] The monitored glass…at the front of the monitor here…is a perfectly flat plane with no thickness.…And I want to give it some thickness…so that it will render with physical accuracy.…And we can do that,…but we have to jump through…a couple of extra hoops to make it happen.…I'll select that monitor glass object…and then isolate the selection.…Click on isolate selection,…and then get in very close in the lower right corner.…I want to be able to see this.…We're only going to extrude this a very small amount.…
Then we can go into polygon subobject mode…from the modify panel or from the modeling ribbon,…and then we can do our extrude command.…One way to access the caddy for that…is to click on the options box in the modify panel,…and we get the extrude polygons caddy,…and we want to give this a very low negative value.…So in the amount field type in -0.3 cm,…press enter,…and we're seeing a preview.…
And so what it's done…is it's not created a new polygon.…It's taken the existing polygon…and shifted it backward…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.