Using extrudes and modifiers with spline-generated models is a good way to maximize the effectiveness of using splines in our modeling pipeline. We do not need to use a single approach and stick with it till the model is complete; mixing and matching different modellng approaches can really help in a project.
- What we want to do in this exercise…is create the intersection of the breast plate…that we've been working on.…Now in order to do this, we're going to make use of what…I'm going to call more traditional CG modeling techniques.…Such as pushing and pulling around the vertices of our model…by means of Max's transformation tools.…As well, of course as making use of a generous helping…of extrudes and connects.…Before we go any further, let's quickly maximize…our Perspective View here and then…after selecting the geometry that we created…in the previous exercise, right click and convert over…to using an Editable Poly Object.…
In Polygon Sub-Object mode,…let's hit F4 to show Edged Faces.…And then after selecting one of the polygons…on the underlying surface, hold down the shift key…as we click to select another.…Which as you can see,…goes ahead and selects this entire loop of polygons.…What we want to do then is hit delete…in order to clear them out.…Coming over to the Command Panel, let's select Border mode.…Select the inner border of our object…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.