Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Exposure and tone mapping, part of 3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lighting.
- [Narrator] Exposure and tone mapping are the methods…whereby we bring the range of all possible brightnesses into…a realm that can be reproduced in traditional media.…When you go to a movie and you see a daylight shot on…the screen, the projection in the theater is not nearly…as bright as the actual daylight represented in that shot.…Currently media cannot reproduce the full dynamic range…of real-world lighting.…For display we must constrain the dynamic range into…the gamut of the display medium.…
And additionally, standard cameras can't capture the full…range at the same time.…When you shoot with an ordinary camera, like a digital SLR,…you have to expose for the highlights or the shadows…because you can't do them both at once.…Camera exposure of course refers to exposing the censor…or film inside the camera to light.…You can set the exposure to determine how much light…is entering the camera and thereby set which tones…are captured.…
The same rules apply to a photometric 3D rendering.…Here is a composite render showing three different exposures…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.