Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Exporting a substance, part of 3ds Max: Substance to Arnold.
- [Instructor] Having seen the extra steps…that need to be taken in order to prepare a Substance file…direct use with Arnold 4 in the AI standard shader,…let's take a look now at just how easy Arnold 5…and the new Substance for 3DS Max plugin make things.…And to do that, we have gone back…to the Old_Red_Brick_Start.sbs file…that we began the previous exercise using,…so no changes made.…Before we get to exporting though,…something that may be concerning us…as we prepare our substance for use in Max is the fact…that the resolution is currently set quite low,…especially so given that we are wanting to use this…in a high-res offline render.…
The graph, if I just zoom into the outputs,…is currently telling us that we're going…to be outputting here at a resolution of just 256,…whereas, ideally, we're going to want to be using…2048 at a minimum, with 4 or even 8K textures…possibly being required.…Well, one way to fix that would be to come…to the Output Size controls…in the Base Parameters Rollout father graph,…and if we set a value of three in both fields,…
- Why should we use substances?
- Choosing a substance workflow
- Using Bitmap2Material in 3ds Max
- Building up your material
- Working with substances and maps from the Designer application
- Using a substance with Arnold
- Improving your substance results
- Exporting your map types
Skill Level Intermediate
Substance Painter Essential Trainingwith Wes McDermott5h 55m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. An Overview of the Substance Toolset
2. Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
3. Working with Substances from the Designer Application
4. Working with Maps from the Designer Application
5. Working with Maps from the Painter Application
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.