Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Exporting from Maya to FBX, part of Advanced 3ds Max and Maya Integration.
- This scene is now ready to export to FBX.…We've baked the procedural textures,…we've baked the transform animation to key frames,…and we've also baked the mesh deformations…out to a geometry cache.…And we've deleted the rig and all constraints and controls,…and we're ready now to export.…Go to the File menu and choose Export All.…Choose FBX Export if it's not already chosen.…
We want to export it into the Maya export directory…that we created earlier.…Go up to Export,…and give it a name, WalterAndEmma,…and in the File Type Specific Options here,…very importantly, we want to open up Animation…and scroll down and enable…Geometry Cache File(s).…Turn that on and choose the selection set…that we made earlier, WalterAndEmmaMeshSet.…
With those options changed, click Export All.…The FBX plugin takes a few moments.…It's converting the existing Maya geometry cache…into an FBX geometry cache.…We've got a couple of error messages here.…"Unable to export some light(s)".…FBX doesn't support Maya's ambient light.…It's kind of special, no big deal.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Managing and tracking assets
- Setting up a shared texture library
- Streamlining user interfaces
- Using Maya mode hotkeys in 3ds Max
- Harmonizing scene units and frame rates
- Rendering procedural textures to bitmaps
- Translating scenes with the FBX file format
- Correcting materials, lighting, and surfaces
- Using the Send To command
- Baking animation to keyframes
- Saving a geometry cache
- Distilling complex animation with Alembic
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2015 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 43m Beginner
Creating Product Shots in 3ds Maxwith Aaron F. Ross4h 31m Intermediate
1. Managing Assets
Asset tracking in 3ds Max4m 19s
2. Harmonizing Preferences
3. Transferring Materials
4. Transferring Models and Animation
5. Transferring Data with Alembic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.