Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Exporting the fbx, part of Game Asset Creation: Stylized Wooden Crate.
- Having finally finished the assembly of our crate,…we are at the stage now where we can begin…exporting the .fbx meshes that we are going…to use in our texturing package,…which, as already noted, will be…Substance Designer in this instance.…Now, you have heard correctly,…I did say meshes and not mesh.…If you remember, we did finish…the previous exercise with both the finished crate…and a single facade in our scene.…The reason for this, simply put,…is that when we bring our objects into Substance Designer,…we are going to want to see how…the texture is working on the full crate asset,…helping us to judge both repetition in the texture…as well as it's final quality.…
Now our single facade mesh can help greatly here,…Particularly with the baking out of resource maps,…such as ambient seclusion, for example.…You see, if we were to use our full asset here,…the slightly inter-penetrating pieces of geometry…that we have created, seeing as these objects…share exactly the same UV space,…would create all sorts of oddities.…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Getting Started with CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.