Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Exporting to Alembic, part of Advanced 3ds Max and Maya Integration.
- Here's a scene suitable for export via Alembic.…It's a Paint Effects and nCloth simulation…of leaves falling off the tree.…We have 240 frames of animation at 24 frames per second,…or 10 seconds of animation.…And you'll see it's playing back very slowly…because it's calculating all of those dynamic effects.…We'll go ahead and stop it and rewind.…We want to select only the objects…that we're going to export.…In this case, there are two mesh objects,…the tree and the leaves.…
We can just drag a selection rectangle…to select both of those.…And go up to the menus into Pipeline Cache,…and we have Alembic Cache.…Export Selection to Alembic.…In the export dialog, we want to export…the entire time slider,…which is our 240 frames of animation.…We want to record every single frame,…so the step value is one.…Scroll down a bit.…Near the bottom, we can choose…which format we're going to save in.…
HDF5 is the legacy format,…and the newer format is Ogawa.…This should work with either.…I'm going to choose Ogawa.…I'm going to now export the cache…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Managing and tracking assets
- Setting up a shared texture library
- Streamlining user interfaces
- Using Maya mode hotkeys in 3ds Max
- Harmonizing scene units and frame rates
- Rendering procedural textures to bitmaps
- Translating scenes with the FBX file format
- Correcting materials, lighting, and surfaces
- Using the Send To command
- Baking animation to keyframes
- Saving a geometry cache
- Distilling complex animation with Alembic
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2015 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 43m Beginner
Creating Product Shots in 3ds Maxwith Aaron F. Ross4h 31m Intermediate
1. Managing Assets
Asset tracking in 3ds Max4m 19s
2. Harmonizing Preferences
3. Transferring Materials
4. Transferring Models and Animation
5. Transferring Data with Alembic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.