Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Enabling self-illumination, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…In order for an object to render or…to appear in reflections, it'll need to be illuminated.…Either by scene lights or self illuminated from within.…In a case of this hemisphere for the environment,…we need it to be evenly lit across its surface.…In that case we will want to use self illumination.…We'll set that up in the material editor.…Open up the material editor and we've got our environment material here.…Currently the bit map is feeding into the diffuse color channel.…We actually really need to feed it into the self illumination map channel.…
So click and drag to make that connection.…You can navigate in this view using the middle mouse button.…And you can zoom in and out using the mouse wheel.…Notice, by the way, we have this navigator pane over here, and…I tend to not use that because, really, it doesn't tell me…anything I don't already know, so in fact, I'm going to close it…so we'll have a little bit more space for the material parameter editors.…So, I'm going to close that.…If you need to get it back you can go to the tools menu and reopen it here.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.