Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Edit UVs rollout, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] As we will be focusing…on the UV editor window and its options in Chapter Four,…we're going to skip over the UV editor button for now,…and instead, look at the other tools and options…found on our modifier.…The tweak and view button is a tool that…as its name suggests, helps us make…minor but critical tweaks to our UVW mapping…in the 3ds Max viewport.…There is also a similar tool inside the edit UVs toolset…that is a little more intuitive to use,…but with our camera view changed to a perspective,…and focused on the robot's shoulder here,…if I click this, all we need to do is…left click and drag on a vertex in our view…in order to tweak its position.…
It's as simple as that really.…Do keep in mind though that this tool…will only be useful for fine tuning the UV mapping,…not for making large edits, and of course,…as this is a toggle, we will need to remember…to disengage it once we're done tweaking.…Next up, we have a number of options…that are designed to help us quickly apply…some simple, planar mapping to a sub-object…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.