Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Displaying viewport maps correctly, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Two important elements…that can make our unwrapping work more productive…and more pleasurable will be the speed…and fidelity of our viewport display.…Obviously the higher the quality at which we can display…and work with our maps and materials,…the more accurate our UVW mapping can be.…To this end, we will perhaps want to spend…the majority of our time…working with 3ds Max's realistic viewport mode enabled…and have it powered…by the direct X11 Nitrous Display driver.…To make certain that 3ds Max is indeed set up this way,…let's come first of all to the Customize menu,…open up the Preference Settings dialog…and then jump into the Viewports tab.…
The section we are wanting to check…is right down at the bottom…entitled Display Drivers.…If I click on the Choose Driver button,…you can see by means of the dropdown…that we have access to a number of display driver types…each of which can be useful…for particular workflows and types of hardware.…By default, the Nitrous Direct 3D 11 option…should be chosen and is indeed the one…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.