Learn how to enable options to display Map Output Selector nodes.
- [Instructor] In 3ds Max 2019,…map output selector nodes are hidden, by default,…which cleans up the view of the graph…but may be a little bit confusing…if you're not sure, exactly,…why a certain output doesn't read out…the way you think it should.…The background here is that originally…3ds Max maps could only have one output.…But with the introduction of Substance…and OpenShadingLanguage now it's common…for maps to have more than one output.…And this requires an intermediary node…called the output selector.…
So we can see that if we add a substance network…to the physical material I have here,…double click that physical material…and go over to the base color and reflections.…Click the map button and in material map browser…double click substance.…And that is attached to the base color map.…And it looks absolutely normal at this point.…It's got a red line…and there's no intermediate node or anything.…And we need to assign a substance map to this node.…
So double click the node,…go into its parameters and click load substance.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Appropriate for all
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.