Convert edges to faces, and create faceted edges.
- [Instructor] For detailing the edges…of a manufactured object, such as this monitor screen,…we can use the chamfer tool built into editable poly.…Let's get in really close on one of these corners.…We've got these edges that are surrounded…by polygons at right angles to one another.…And this edge right here…is not really going to catch the light very well,…but we can chamfer that edge, creating a polygon there.…So select the monitor chassis object,…and in the modify panel, go into edge sub object mode.…
And we can select all of the edges in this loop,…by double-clicking on any one of them.…And now all of those edges connected end to end…are selected in a loop.…And on the modeling ribbon,…we can open up the chamfer caddy.…Hold down the Shift key, and click the chamfer button,…and the caddy launches up.…And I was playing around with this earlier,…and so it's got some values in here…that you might not see on your screen.…What we want is up here on chamfer type.…
We want that to be standard chamfer.…And that's not going to subdivide…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.