Learn how to deviate surface vertices with map luminance.
- [Instructor] A bump map or a normal map,…achieve the effect of fine surface detail or relief…but they don't actually deform the surface,…they don't change the shape of the model.…On the other hand, a displacement map does.…It deforms the model by moving the vertices…according to the brightness level of an input map.…We use a displacement map to impart a subtle asymmetry…or chaos to the Athena body model.…Let's open up the material editor…and we've got our body physical material here…and it currently has no displacement map feedng it.…
Let's use the displacement output of this substance.…Click and drag from displacement on the substance map…over to displacement map on the physical material…and a new output selector map is created in-between them.…Double click on this thumbnail…and it looks like we just got a flat gray field here.…This is the default behavior of substance.…It doesn't actually output anything…at this displacement output here.…Let's go into the substance material parameters.…
Double click on the label and in the material parameters,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Appropriate for all
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.