Recognize appropriate polygon mesh detail .
- I want to talk for a moment about level of detail…for polygon objects such as these…Level of detail is often confused with fidelity…but they're not actually the same thing.…Fidelity refers to how well a 3D model…resembles a real object.…But, level of detail simply refers…to the density of that object.…How many sub-objects or components does it have?…And adding more components or…sub-objects doesn't necessarily improve your result.…
Let's take a look at this monitor stand.…I'll select it.…And go to the modify panel.…Got a bend and a taper.…And if I go down to the level of the box, and if…I have "show end result" enabled,…I can see the result after the…"bend and taper" have been applied.…Now currently got some length segments value of 30…Let's get closer.…Use "alt W" to maximize the perspective view…and press "Z" to zoom in.…
Tumble around a little bit with…alt and the mouse.…It looks a little bit kind of…angular and jagged down there.…So I can increase the number of length segments…to 100, and I got a lot better curve there.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.