The 3ds Max home grid is a powerful modeling tool in and of itself, but sometimes it's good to make custom grids for very specific parts of a model. Using the x key in a viewport, we can search for the word grid and very quickly add a new grid to the scene to use.
- [Narrator] Oftentimes, while trying to figure out…how we might create certain hard surface models,…we will realize that it would actually be easier…to break them down into smaller components…rather than trying to model them as a whole.…For example, in this instance, we are going to create…a screw thread for ourselves by initially creating…lots of smaller meshes that we will then combine together,…simply, because it is much easier, in my opinion,…than trying to create the screw thread…from a single piece of geometry.…The way we are going to do this is by creating…a new modeling grid that will, essentially,…allow us to create the thread at a lot smaller scale…than our current home grid settings would easily allow,…which, of course, means that we won't have to adjust…and then re-adjust all of our main grid settings.…
It also means that we can instantly jump back…to working with our home grid as soon as…we are done creating the pieces that we need.…So, how do we do this?…Well, there are two ways that we could go about it.…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.