Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the wood grain normal map, part of Game Asset Creation: Stylized Wooden Crate.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- With the basics of our Wood Grain texture…already in place,…let's go ahead and take a look at…how we can use what we have already done,…really to help us generate a normal map…that we will definitely want to apply to our material.…This is most probably the simplest part…of the texturing process that we will tackle in this course.…Indeed, if I just zoom into the Normal Map frame,…you can see that all we have is just a single node.…If I double click to select that,…zoom extents in a 2D view,…then just pan up in our Graph view,…you can see that all we have essentially done…is pipe our grayscale information…straight into this normal node.…
To show how this was done,…let's select our blend node here…and then after pressing the Spacebar key,…either type the word "normal" in the Search field…or just select it from the list…and well, that's it.…By doing things this way,…what we get, as you can clearly see,…is the blend node automatically pipes directly…into the normal node that was just created.…Of course as we already have a normal node,…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Getting Started with CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.