With the subdivision in place, let's use the meshes edges to create hard metal–looking surfaces. This will need variation as the interior of our mesh has a different creasing weight than the outer. These are areas that we need to train our eyes to spot when looking at the reference material.
- [Instructor] In this final video…for both the chapter and the course,…we're going to be finalizing the look of the guard piece…that we have been modeling by adding some extra edge loops…to the geometry in order to control…how subdivision smoothing is working.…To do that let's select our mesh in the viewport,…select the edit poly modifier in the stack…and then jump into edge sub-object mode.…Let's select what would normally be…all of our vertical edges on the original piece.…I say would be because,…of course,…not all of them are vertical anymore;…and then coming to the loops panel,…shift click to open up the connect tools (mumbles).…
In fact,…let's also hit F4 in order to better see…our edges in the viewport.…With just a single connect being added,…let's hit okay;…and then whilst pressing the alt key,…drag a marquee to deselect the horizontal pieces here.…This means we can come to the edit panel…to turn on the constrain to edges option,…and then use the scale tool to straighten the selected edges…by scaling along the zed or Z axis.…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 48m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.