When cutting complex shapes into an existing model, it can be helpful to use a stencil. We can use 3ds Max's conform paint tools to get stencil to follow the contours and shapes of our already existing polygon model.
- [Instructor] In this exercise,…we're going to be creating the viewing port…that sits on the top of our diving helmet.…This, in terms of building our modeling skills,…actually gives us the opportunity…to try out a slightly different approach now,…and one that we haven't worked with in the course so far.…Now, if we take a look at our reference image,…we can see that the port does have quite a rounded shape,…although in other images,…the port sometimes has a bit more of a squared-off finish.…Probably more of what we would call…a rounded rectangle look.…
Now, I'm going to stick fairly close…to the look in the reference image…that we've been using,…but you can, of course, try to recreate any of the versions…should you want to.…The big question, of course,…is how are we going to go about creating this?…Well, we're going to use an approach…that essentially involves creating a stencil…that we will then use to cut a port-shaped hole…into our mesh.…We can make a start at creating that…by coming into the create tab of the command panel,…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 48m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.