Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a soft body object, part of MassFX and 3ds Max: Creating Simulations (2013).
Although given a name that outlines its most likely usage, the mCloth…modifier is capable of creating soft body effects that can go a little beyond…creating standard cloth.…In this video, we will in fact use mCloth to turn our toy geometry into a soft body…object that can be dynamically simulated without looking as though it has had…the stuffing knocked out of it.…As you can see, if I just select our toy geometry, it is a straightforward…editable poly object with an mCloth modifier applied to it.…
If I just run the simulation with mCloth default settings, you can see our…simulated toy appears to be lacking a little in terms of internal volume.…What little volume retention we appear to have at this moment in time is mostly…a byproduct of our compression settings.…If we just come over to our Physical Fabric Properties rollout and set both of…our compression options to 0, you can see, once we resimulate, what we get now…looks just like an empty cloth object.…Of course, if this is the effect that we want, we are in good shape.…
- Setting up your 3ds Max project
- Understanding volume, mass, and density
- Learning the difference between concave and convex meshes
- Discovering Ground Collision and Gravity
- Baking out a simulation for rendering
- Adding an animation override
- Adding Rigid constraints and creating breakability
- Creating springy targets with the Hinge constraint
- Spinning targets with Twist
- Working with mCloth
- Putting a rip in mCloth
- Adding forces to a simulation
- Using fracture geometry in mParticles
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Dynamics Simulation 101: Understanding the Basics
2. The MassFX Approach
3. Working with Rigid Bodies
4. Making Use of Constraints
5. Working with mCloth
6. Using Forces with MassFX
Using forces with mCloth3m 47s
7. A Brief Introduction to mParticles
What's next?1m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.