Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the outer frame: Part 2, part of Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Asset.
- Having already created the top crosspiece…for the frame of our crate, time to move on…to creating the uprights, whilst at the same time…touching on a toolset that could really help speed us up…on any hard-surface modeling project,…namely the snapping options.…Now of course, to create our uprights,…we could start the entire creation process again…by making a new box.…But seeing as we already have what,…from a modeling perspective, is an identitical…parametrically-modeled piece, already in place,…there simply is no need.…
And of course, reusing this mesh will have added benefits…when it comes time to unwrap our geometry…later on in the course.…Let's select our original box mesh then,…and press the Alt plus W keys in order to jump…to a full-screen view, and then hit the W key…to engage the Move tool.…Whilst holding down the Shift key now,…we can click and drag to create a copy of our mesh,…naming it Crate_Side.…
Do be careful here not to select the Instance option,…as we are going to be making some unique changes…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Learning CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.